My 'Finding Inspiration' series was written out of a need that comes up in my
practice, most often in Spring and Fall. I feel we all need a bit of
enlightenment now and then to help us move forward. Finding motivation through
inspiration can be the spark which sets you on your way!
Spring is here. What better time to take advantage of the power of our sense of
We can find great inspiration through the power of our olfactory senses. Spring
time is the season of renewal, where flowers blossom, all green things grow and
people feel a renewal of energy within themselves. People even begin to wear
lighter colored clothing to "match" the environment around them. Seek your
inspiration in the scent of fresh flowers filling the air, as well as the bloom
of green herbs. Take advantage of these natural riches.
Utilize the Essence of Aromatherapy
Once you understand the purpose of why essential oils exist, you will want them
in your life forever. They represent life itself, the source of all healing. My
wish is that you will share them with a friend, and let them experience some of
Essential Oils work on several different levels. They affect most people through
the sense of smell. The sense of smell is the most complexed and the sensitive
of the five senses.
Once the Olfactory receptors identify an aroma, nerve cells relay this
information directly to the Limbic system of the brain. Here, aromas can trigger
memories and influence behavior. Additionally, the Limbic system works in
conjunction with the pituitary gland and the Hypothalamus region of the brain to
regulate the hormonal activities thus triggering the production of hormones that
govern appetite, body temperature, insulin production, overall metabolism,
stress levels, sex drive, and conscious thought and reactions. The Limbic system
also influences immunity. Essential oils can have a positive affect on all these
Essential oils work through the skin as well. They can stimulate surface skin
cells, calm inflamed or irritated skin, release muscle spasms, soothe sore
muscles and relieve muscle tension.
Essential oils are used in a variety of ways.
* You can inhale them directly from the bottle.
* You can use them for skin care, hair care, and body care, as well as, for many
* Personal hygiene, aromatherapy baths, foot baths.
* Giving and receiving aromatherapy massages.
* Inhaling aromatherapy oil blends to relieve congestion, clear your head and
make breathing easier.
* You can also make wonderful fragrances with essential oils.
* Aromatherapy can prevent or ease an assortment of ailments. Essential oils
boost the immune system.
* You can treat aches, pains, injuries, with essential oils.
* Aromatherapy can help reduce stress, lift depression, restore emotional
* You can disperse essential oils through the air in your home or office to
increase productivity or alter moods.